Holy Shit! Visions of the Walworth Jumpers

Thursday 8 April 2010

Blogwatch: JP Thurlow

All artwork courtesy of JP Thurlow

During my time as a staffer and writer for Sketchbook magazine, I came across the really cool work of illustrator JP Thurlow who did the cover for the magazine's first ever issue.



Titled "Covers", this project was initiated by Thurlow  as an attempt to list all of his hand-drawn remakes of the fashion magazine front covers he owns. And the results are mesmerising- this illustrator is a great craftsman!



As an artist who is also keen on drawing people, I really appreciate the time and effort invested in making each and everyone of those one-of-a-kind special artefacts.


Thurlow mentions that "with each Cover I take a perfect mass-produced object and turn it into a fucked up one-off. Don't expect perfection here, that's not the way I see beauty in the world." I guess this is why there is a certain edginess in these portraits that I find very attractive! Oh, and did I say I am a massive Vanessa Paradis fan? Vanessa, je tadore, j'ai tous tes cds! Bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.