Holy Shit! Visions of the Walworth Jumpers

Wednesday 12 May 2010

My day at Print Club London


All photographs courtesy of Valerie Pezeron

Yesterday, I headed to the Print Club in Dalston, North London for a proper induction into the techniques of waterbased screenprinting. I was really excited at the prospect of spending a whole day in the company of like-minded people and getting my hands dirty! Last time I did any proper printmaking was back at university where I had played with etchings, monotypes and woodcut.  



This time around I thought I would try something new and also test wether the book I am currently working on titled "Written by Men, Blame it on God" would look good screenprinted. Besides planned publication by The Rationalist Association, I am considering doing a small handmade and screenprinted limited edition for sale to various outlets and also for exhibiting.
I found the induction challenging as there was so much to learn! The tutors were patient, very helpful and entertaining and the facilities more than adequate. Attending the induction was a diverse mix of individuals with a painter, a former advertising executive now turned construction worker, art and design students and a newly made redundant fashion employee.Yep, the recession is still biting and we're all feeling it.


Getting my hands on the final output was very rewarding and my final prints did not look too bad albeit with a few minor imperfections. I left with my head full of data and plans as the day answered many of my questions but also raised new ones!



Later on, I walked around the area to explore what Dalston has to offer and I discovered a really good and well-stocked art shop with very competitive prices named Jacksons on Farleigh road past Princess May tube station.
I can't wait to go back to Print Club and do more, more, more! Now I'm gonna buy a stiff enveloppe so I may send one print to my editor as a peace offering- I'm VERY late on that book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.